The historic low-level radioactive waste and contaminated soil, located at various sites in the Municipality of Port Hope, are a consequence of past practices involving the refining of radium and uranium by a former federal Crown Corporation, Eldorado Nuclear Limited, and its private-sector predecessors. These waste materials contain radium-226, uranium, arsenic and other contaminants resulting from the refining process.
In the Municipality of Port Hope, the waste is located at the Welcome Waste Management Facility, which has been closed since 1955, and at various locations throughout the urban areas of the municipality. Waste management operations moved approximately 13 km west to Port Granby Residue Area in Clarke Township, now Municipality of Clarington.
The historic waste and surrounding environment are monitored and inspected regularly to ensure the waste does not pose a risk to health or the environment. As part of the Port Hope Area Initiative (PHAI) construction and clean-up phase, the waste will be excavated and relocated to the new Port Hope long-term waste management facility.
If you would like more information about local history, please visit the Port Hope Public Library website.