Welcome Waste Management Facility is located in the Municipality of Port
Hope, south of Highway 401 between Brand Road and Baulch Road. It
contains approximately 450,000 cubic metres of historic low-level
radioactive waste, from Eldorado’s former radium and uranium refining
operations in Port Hope, that was placed at the facility from 1944 until
its closure in 1955.
In October 2009, Canadian Nuclear
Laboratories (CNL) - formerly Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) -
the lead agency undertaking the Port Hope Project, was granted a Waste
Nuclear Substance Licence by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
(CNSC). This permitted CNL to assume responsibility for the Welcome
facility on March 31, 2010. The facility had previously been operated by
Cameco Corporation under a licence from the CNSC. At the same time, the
Government of Canada acquired the 50-hectare property from Cameco.
Welcome Waste Management Facility lands are the site of the future Port
Hope long-term low-level radioactive waste management facility.
is responsible under licence to the CNSC to manage the facility safely,
including management of groundwater and surface water at the site that,
once treated, is discharged to Lake Ontario via pipeline. AECL must
ensure this treated water (effluent) meets CNSC regulatory requirements. CNL’s responsibilities for the Welcome facility also include: