Abandoned Pipeline

Pipeline

The pipeline was installed in 1956 to carry waste water from the Welcome Waste Management Facility for discharge in Lake Ontario. It was replaced in 2009 by a three-kilometre, twin high-density polyethylene pipeline to carry treated water from the facility. No longer in use, the abandoned pipeline is buried approximately 1.2 metres below ground. During the upcoming PHAI cleanup, the pipe and surrounding contaminated soil will be removed.

Investigation complete – limited remediation required

  • Preliminary testing indicates minimal impacts  – inside pipeline and at south end by Lake Ontario
  • Limited remediation required at beach
March 29, 2018